Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spandex Bike Shorts

so, i have this pair of cotton spandex shorts that i used to wear years ago, like back when i was 7 and took gymnastics!  lately, i've started wearing them under my soffee shorts when i ride my bike.  they are comfy and i love that they add length to my shorts that are too short.  well, since i only have that one pair, i got inspired to make me some more.

i was in Jo-Ann Fabrics the other day and found an awesome printed spandex, this is also known as swimsuit fabric.  right away i knew i had to buy some and make me some shorts!  i bought 1 yard for my shorts, and depending on how long or short you want yours to be you'll need more or less.  i used the old shorts as a template for a pattern.  i made the pattern, but the way i did it didn't seem right, so i did some research.  i found this great tut that shows how to create a pattern for when the front and back crotch sections will be a little different.  since i had already cut my pattern pieces out, i found it worked best to just place the pieces side-by-side on the double layered flat fabric.  once i had the pices cut out it was time to get sewin!  for the only two inside seams i used my serger.  this made things easier and it was better since i am working with a stretch fabric.  if you don't have a serger, or don't want to use yours, you can do a simple zig-zag stitch.  just avoid straight stitches b/c they will not stretch with the fabric.  for the hem on the legs i simply serged the straight edge then turned it up and sewed it in palce using a zig-zag stitch.  i did the same for the waistband.  also while sewing the waistband i left a little opening to insert my elastic.  once the elastic was in and sewn together, you just close it up and your shorts are complete!  and i must say, they are very comfy! i will DEF be making more!!

3 comments:

  1. Just found you today on pinterest. Cute shorts! I'm gonna keep my eye on you, I can tell you will have lots of cute ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well welcome!! thanks! I always try to inspire others!

      Delete
  2. Tell me one thing that you can remember about any major cycling events. Think about Tour de France... If you can recall one thing, it would be the striking colors of the short design. Even for recreational cyclists, you can still buy shorts with attractive designs, just like the professionals.

    Female Cycling Jersey

    ReplyDelete