Monday, March 25, 2013

Blog Catch-up: Shoes For Baby

hello all my wonderful readers!  i know, it's been such a long time since my last post!  mostly in part to me being in school and staying tied up with homework.  i do hate that i'm not able to do as much sewing as before, but i absolutely love school and everything about O'More!!

this post is about a little, literally little, sewing project i did back in december.  one of my former co-workers' daughter was pregnant with her first baby, and my co-worker's first grand baby!  everyone in their family was so excited about the news...and even more excited when they found out it was a little girl.  when i found out they were having a little girl i knew i wanted to do some sewing for the little miss...who is named Savannah Jane, and she made her debut in February.

i had some leftover fabrics and decided to whip up something from those.  i went to Hobby Lobby on one of their $0.99 Simplicity pattern days and found a cute pattern for some baby booties and shoes.  i chose the little shoes that had the strap going across the top.

this was my first time ever making baby items and so i followed this pattern to a 't'.  it was actually really fun making these shoes because they were so tiny and they turned out so cute.




for these multicolor ones i did a cute little plastic heart button on the top of the strap for a cute little detail.





for these blue and green ones, i chose the awesome flat, felt buttons that coordinated with the button-shaped flowers on the fabric.

when i finally got these surprise shoes to the granny-to-be she was so ecstatic about them!  seeing the reaction of joy on her face reminded me even more why i love to make surprise items for people!  i also found out not too long ago that her other daughter is expecting her first baby, a boy, in june...so there may be another surprise baby gift in the works.  until then, onto the next blog catch-up!!

2 comments:

  1. Those shoes are adorable! What kind of fabric did you use for them? Is it easy to make? I want to try making one for my daughter. I would be ecstatic about these shoes too!

    - BabyShoe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 100% cotton I had leftover from other projects. For the sole of the shoes it called for the knit material that has the grippers on it, but at the time I couldn't find any so I used beige and white muslin. They actually were easy to make! This was my first time ever making anything like them. The only part that caused a little difficulty was sewing the lining and outer fabric together at that curve on the top of the foot. Since the curve was so sharp and small it took a little maneuvering to get it good, but it worked out.

      Delete