Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pajama Party!

so this past weekend my mom and i went up to my aunt's house in KY for the annual girls' weekend the ladies on my mom's side of the family has started.  as part of the weekend there was a pajama party planned.  this got me excited because, well being the sewer i am, i already knew i was going to make mine.  my mom even suggested at one point that i make hers too...well that didn't end up happening.

so any who, i started thinking up what i wanted to do for my pajamas.  i first bought a pattern to make some shorts, or pants, and a top.  well that was just too boring for me.  so what did i do?  i went out a bought a pattern for a fleece jumpsuit when it was on sale for $.99 at Hobby Lobby!
i had always wanted some footed pajamas and this was my chance to get some!!  i wanted footed pajamas, and as you can see these don't have feet.  so i figured out a way to add some feet.  the way i did my feet was complicated, but i'll show ya how i did them, and hopefully i can come up with a more simplified process.

to start, i measured the top length of my foot and bottom length of my foot to see how long the pieces needed to be.

then i placed the pattern pieces for the front and back of the pajamas along the edge of my fleece.  i did this so the foot pieces would be the same width as the leg opening.  i drew the shape i wanted the foot piece to be and cut it out.  repeat for the bottom foot pieces, but for the bottom pieces i cut them longer so it would curve up behind my foot.

once the pieces were cut i sewed them together, wrong sides together.  but since the bottom piece is longer i sewed 5/8" down from the top on both sides, then bunched the fabric on both sides and sew the rest of the foot together around to the other point.  when it's finished i ended up with point like in the picture below.  that is where the fabric will curve around my foot.

next is attaching the foot to the leg.  to do this i turned the foot piece right side out, while the leg was turned inside out.  sew all the way around.

now, you need to make the casing for the elastic...and this is where it got complicated.  basically i had to shove the arm of my sewing machine into the leg to sew the seam allowance down to the leg pieces, but this made the fabric gather up on my machine and it was hard to keep turning it.  but i managed and made the casing, leaving an opening at one point for the elastic to go in.

once i had the casing i inserted the elastic, but that was complicated too b/c my casing wasn't wide enough.  so it took me FOREVER to get the elastic in!  but eventually i got it. and ta-da!  my feet were finished!

to prevent me from slipping when walking on smooth floors i took some paint and drew peace signs on the bottoms of the feet for grippers.

now my footed pajamas were complete!  and i love how they turned out.  next time i need to come up with a more simplified way to make and attach the feet...anytime i see footed pajamas i look at the feet to see how they are done so i will know how to do them.
a couple other changes i made were placing the pockets on the front instead of the sides of the legs and making them a split kangaroo pocket.  i also changed the shape of the hood slightly so i didn't look like a gnome.

No comments:

Post a Comment